Crunchie is a popular cinder toffee (honeycomb) bar covered in a coating of milk chocolate, which is produced by Cadbury.
The official Cadbury website once described it as "A chunky, gold bar of delicious honeycomb, smothered in thick Cadbury milk chocolate that shatters into mouth-watering crunchy pieces".
A standard 40g bar contains 185 calories, 7.6g of fat, 1.6g of protein, and 27.8g of carbohydrates.
Here are our top 10 facts about Cadbury's Crunchie...
In 2029, Cadbury Crunchie will be celebrating its 100th birthday! It was launched by J.S. Fry & Son in 1929. These days, Crunchie comes in a variety of sizes, including snack size and king-size bars.
You can now buy Dairy Milk Crunchie Bits, which contains small pieces of Crunchie and is available in many British supermarkets and online.
Disclosure: This page contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
A Crunchie YouGov poll suggests that 96% of people have heard of the chocolate bar (what planet are the other 4% living on?) and it is liked by 70% of people, with 8% disliking it and 18% being neutral.
Never tried Cadbury Crunchie Spread on your sandwich? Well, it's definitely not a healthy option for use as a daily filling, but just perfect for an indulgent treat. It comes in a 400g jar and contains Crunchie bits. A Cadbury Caramel and Milk Chocolate spread are also available. The spreads are also ideal for using as a cake topping, as an easy alternative to icing.
Thanks to the 'Thank Crunchie It's Friday' TV adverts, which have also included the slogan 'Get that Friday feeling', many people in Great Britain now use the phrase to express their delight at reaching the final day of the working week.
The most popular advert is from the 90s and features the song "I'm So Excited" by The Pointer Sisters. The first advert aired back in the 1980s, and features a Peter Gabriel style video that uses a stop-motion technique, which was popular at the time. The memorable lead character is an odd-looking guy with a big ginger hairstyle, who is wearing a green chequered suit, yellow shirt, red bow tie and huge square-framed glasses. He's dressed rather like a clown, but without the red nose and make-up.
It's the kind of ad that could easily irritate some people, as he sings us a catchy song which sounds like something from a pre-teen kids TV show, and it goes like this. "There is a Friday feeling, I get it every day, and when I get that feeling then a Crunchie comes my way. It's that Friday feeling. That Friday feeling's coming, I don't know where or when. But when it comes upon me, it's that Crunchie time again. Thank Crunchie it's Friday, thank Crunchie!"
in 2000, a brief collaboration between Cadbury and Britvic resulted in a limited edition Tango orange flavoured Crunchie, which sold well. In the late 1990s, there were also lemonade, champagne and mint versions, which were also limited editions.
Heroes can be bought in family bags or tubs, and these are particularly popular at Christmas, along with Cadbury Roses. Also included in the Heroes range are Wispa, Dairy Milk, Caramel, Twirl, Fudge, Creme Egg Twisted and Eclairs.
Crunchie Blast launched in 2006 and contained popping candy. However, the product was discontinued as a chocolate bar, but can still be bought as an ice cream on a stick. It's sold in packs of three or four in the frozen isle of British supermarkets.
Featuring triple-layered Crunchie chocolate with honeycomb flavoured ice cream, this cake looks mouthwateringly delicious! Unfortunately, it's not available in the UK, and this is a photo of the Australian version.
It may not sound appealing to some, but yes, there was a peppermint version produced by Fry's in the 1960s, which was eventually discontinued. Personally, I think I'll stick with the classic honeycomb version.
This Crunchie wrapper is from 1983
I hope you enjoyed reading our top 10 facts about Cadbury Crunchie. You may also like What Really Happened to Cadbury's Aztec?